Frequently Asked Questions

1. How can AAATakeCharge help me?

We provide cash payments that allow you to buy what you need to stay employed or move toward your long-term goal.

2. How much cash can I receive from AAATakeCharge?

You can receive up to $14,000 from AAATakeCharge tax free. The money is distributed over a 3-5 year period as long as you meet your earning targets. You must come off of your federal cash benefits to receive Work Support Payments. Our payments are to help you stay in your job and advance in your career. AAATakeCharge provides more in Work Support Payments than any other EN in the program.

3. Are there restrictions on how I can spend the Work Support Payments I receive?

Yes. You must spend the cash on products and services that help you remain in the workforce. Examples include transportation costs such as car, taxi, Uber or Lyft, public transportation, tutoring, training or education, child care, health care, including mental health therapy, personal care expenses, computer/cell phone expenses, impairment related work expenses, self-employment, job coaching, and many others. Almost any reasonable expense that will help you remain employed or allow you to advance in your career will qualify.

4. Will the Social Security Administration make Ticket Payments directly to me?

No. The Ticket-to-Work program is structured such that the Social Security Administration (SSA) will only make payments to Employment Networks based on the work outcomes achieved by the individual Ticket holder. AAATakeCharge shares the SSA Ticket payments with clients.

*Please note: Work Support Payments are made to you by AAATakeCharge, not SSA. Consult your contract with AAATakeCharge for terms and conditions or contact us with any questions or concerns.

5. This sounds almost too good to be true. How can I be sure that AAATakeCharge will really pay me the Work Support Payments described above?

Call the SSA Ticket-to-Work program at (866) 968-7842 to verify that AAATakeCharge has been an approved EN in good standing since 2000.

6. How do I sign up to receive payments from AAATakeCharge?

You must sign up either online or on the phone and create an Individualized Work Plan (IWP). Click here to sign up.

If you signed up online, AAATakeCharge will contact you by phone to discuss your employment goals and the short and long term supports that you need to reach those goals. If during the sign up process we either individually or together come to the conclusion that AAATakeCharge is not the best option for you, we will suggest alternative ways of obtaining the support you need.

*Please Note: We cannot process your IWP nor will SSA actually assign your ticket until you have had a one-on-one conversation with an AAATakeCharge representative. During this conversation we will review items such as Timely Progress Guidelines with you. (PDF File – Get Adobe reader here.)

7. How can I learn more about the Work Incentives that SSA provides to beneficiaries who are considering a return to work?

Go to to access the information online.

You may be pleasantly surprised at how far SSA goes in trying to make you feel comfortable about making a work attempt.

If you still have questions once you have read the Redbook on Work Incentives call your local Social Security Office and ask to speak to someone familiar with work incentives for people receiving SSI or SSDI.

8. Why are my work support payments from AAATakeCharge tax-free?

In the IRS Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income, under a section titled “Persons with Disabilities”, the IRS states, “you do not include in income the value of goods, services, and cash that you receive, not in return for your services, but for your training and rehabilitation because you have a disability”. The payments AAATakeCharge makes to you ARE to assist with your on-going rehabilitation and efforts to remain in the workforce despite the fact that you have a disability.

9. I'm already a client of AAATakeCharge and I've just started work; what should I do next?

Congratulations! Call AAATakeCharge at (866)-701-1700. Let’s get your Work Support Payments started. You can also login to your client account for more information on receiving payments.

10. Can I switch to AAATakeCharge if I have already assigned my Ticket over to another Employment Network or to a State VR Agency?

Yes. But depending upon the amount of help that your state VR agency or the other Employment Network already gave you, Maximus, the contractor who Social Security hired to administer the Ticket Program, may decide that some percentage of your initial Ticket payments should still go to the original agency. Maximus makes these decisions on a case-by-case basis. You will receive a portion of whatever amount AAATakeCharge receives for your Ticket. If you are not certain of the status of your Ticket call Maximus at 1-866-968-7842 and ask.

Ticket Holders are only allowed to work with one EN or state VR agency at a time. If your ticket has been assigned to AAATakeCharge then you cannot work with your state VR agency unless you first un-assign your ticket from AAATakeCharge. If you want to switch your Ticket from your state VR agency to AAATakeCharge, you must first initiate a request to your state VR agency to close your case—which is your right to do so at any time. Once your VR case is closed you can assign your Ticket to AAATakeCharge.

If you decide to switch your Ticket you must first contact Ticket to Work at 1-866-968-7842 and request that your ticket be unassigned from the current EN.  Once the ticket is unassigned you can complete the assignment process with AAATakeCharge by completing the IWP.

11. How can I find more information about the Ticket to Work program?

For an overview of the entire Ticket to Work program please visit  To talk with an agent at Ticket to Work who can answer questions about the Ticket to Work program call: 1-866-968-7842.